Thursday, July 2, 2009

I'm back (again)

I figured, given that it's been almost a year since I have updated my blog (!), that I should update it before some sort of Blogger inactivity script shuts down my account. I'm getting ready to teach a course on how technology affects privacy and reputation ("Privacy in a Networked World").

While working on my syllabus, I came across a great quote in the book that I am using ("The Future of Reputation" by Daniel J. Solove). This quote is from Perry Barlow's Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace. I love it:

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of the Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave me alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather.

We have no elected government, nor are we likely to have one, so I address you with no greater authority than that with which liberty itself always speaks. "

Here's the full text: http://homes.eff.org/~barlow/Declaration-Final.html

I think that is one of the more powerful pieces of writing I have seen in a while. I can't wait for the class to read it.

Anyway, good to see you again, and I will really try to keep the blog updated.

--Chris

No comments: