Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Foxmarks

So, I was reading Lifehacker today and I came across a post for Foxmarks, an add-on for Firefox that allows you to synchronize your bookmarks across multiple computers running Firefox. This is pretty interesting (and many people have asked me if it's possible to do this), but I think that it may be too little too late given del.icio.us' recent boom in popularity and its integration with Firefox being about as tight as the built-in bookmarks functionality.

Although, I could see this being a viable option for those who don't really have any aspirations of sharing and tagging bookmarks. And, like delicious, it relies on a third party server to manage the synchronization. So, you would be no more vulnerable to data unavailability if you used Foxmarks.

So, I am posting this for two reasons:

1) for the benefit of anyone who may find this tool useful

2) because I like where this technology is going. There are certain vital applications that I wish would follow suit here, address book syncing in Thunderbird being the foremost.

I haven't personally tried this tool out, so I'm in no position to speak to its quality/reliability. Please let me know what you think of it if you decide to check it out.

No comments: