Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Picasa vs. Flickr

So, I have been playing around with Flickr of late, and I have to say that I am not crazy about it. It's interface is very nice and it seems to work well, but there are a couple of minor details that I don't like:

1) the URLs are not easy - I don't want to have to log in and copy and paste the URL of my pictures to send it to people. I want to be able to remember it and just type it into any email. Insofar as I can tell, the Flickr pages use these weird, randomly-generated URLs. Maybe there is a way to get a simple URL, but a cursory search did not yield any results.

2) the Web 2.0 thing is not for me - I don't want to be prompted to "tag" my photos or anything like that. I guess it is fine for people who want to make their archive very searchable, but that isn't of too much interest for me. Flickr seems to cater to that sort of web use - tagging and searching on tags to get images. I just want the traditional web-based photo album.

So, that said, I decided to try Picasa on Ira's advice. I really like it. There is a very easy-to-use photo uploader for my Mac (I think Flickr has this too) and I was able to push all of my images up and give them captions very quickly. The URLs are exactly what I want, algorithmically-generated, predict able URLs. I hate to promote everything Google, as I am a big proponent of diverse applications that meet the need of a specific task, but everything they put out seems to best meet my needs!

Check out the pictures from my Vermont trip up on Picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mustazza/VermontFall07/

No comments: