Friday, June 6, 2008

Epicurious

I know that a lot of you are familiar with Epicurious.com, a site whose links are ubiquitous just about anytime you Google for a recipe (yes, I just used "Google" as a verb). I just thought that I would tell you a little bit about how I use the site, in case it's useful to you.

Generally, I am vehemently opposed to creating anymore new accounts for myself on web sites - I have too many userids and passwords as it is - but I recently made an exception when I learned that you could keep a digital recipe box at Epicurious. That is, if you come across a recipe that is a keeper, you can simply hit "Save to Recipe Box" and it will be there, in your digital recipe box, along with your other favorite recipes, the next time you log in. I assume you could also accomplish this same task by pasting the links into del.icio.us, but this seems way quicker to me.

Another thing I do, being almost as obsessed with cooking as I am with playing the drums, is to subscribe to Epicurious' RSS recipe feeds in my Google Reader. Then, in the course of browseing my blogs, when I see a recipe that piques my interest, I can follow the link and add it to my recipe box. This is a nice way of broadening your cooking skills - the feed may recommend dishes that you wouldn't have otherwise thought of.

After you've amassed a solid collection of recipes, you can go for major points for style by exporting your recipe box to create your very own cookbook using Tastebook. If you haven't heard of Tastebook, check out my original post on the topic - it's basically a web site that lets your turn digital recipes (your own or others') into a hardcopy cookbook.

BTW, if you're interested, here are the RSS feeds I subscribe to:


--Chris

No comments: