Friday, June 20, 2008

Text Message Spam

So, being the old guy that I am, I don't really use SMS messaging much (read: at all) - I stick to email. Every now and again, some youngster will send me a text message. I will read it, and reply via email, if at all. The other day*, I got a text message, and after I opened it, I see that it is Spam!

What?! It's not bad enough that I get inundated in email Spam - and spend a fair portion of my life helping to reduce email spam for others? Now I have to get SMS Spam, which could be the most vile form of Spam there is?

Well, luckily for me, that single SMS Spam message was an isolated incident (so far), but if you find that you get a lot of it, you can actually set SMS Spam filtering rules (of various degrees) when you log into your carrier's (e.g. Verizon's) web site. David Pogue of the New York Times has a great piece on this. You can either block all incoming messages from the Internet (as opposed to messages from other phones), where most Spam originates, or you can use rules similar to tranditional filtering rules (filter by sender, message content, etc.).

Anyway, I truly hope you never have to worry about filtering SMS Spam, but if you do, I hope you find this useful.

--Chris

*Note: When I use the phrase "the other day" it could be in reference to any day between yesterday and 5 years ago.

No comments: