Thursday, June 19, 2008

In-line PDF viewer for Mac Firefox

I'm really excited about today's post because I want to tell you about an add-on that I believe is immensely useful to anyone who uses Firefox on a Mac. To me, one of the most annoying things about FF on Mac is that, when you click a link to a PDF, it prompts you with the Open/Save dialog, and then, after you click Open, proceeds to open the PDF in Preview - really an obnoxious way to handle PDF's.

Now, thanks to a new FF add-on, firefox-mac-pdf, you can view PDF's in your browser, the way that they were meant to be viewed when they are accessed through the web! There's not much more explanation necessary; just install it, restart FF, and try it out. You will love - guaranteed!

I spend way too much time checking out menus at local restaurants (usually agonizing over making a decision over where I want to eat on a given weekend) and many restaurants post their menus in PDF form (not the best medium, I don't think, but whatever). Before I installed this add-on, I would end up with a temp folder full of cached PDF's and spend double the amount of time necessary to open the menus. No more. Thanks to this add-on, I can conduct my research more efficiently. :)

--Chris

No comments: