Thursday, November 22, 2007

Dirkey - Bookmark Folders in Windows

I was reading Lifehacker this morning and I came across a post on Dirkey. If you're a Windows user, this seems like it would be a pretty handy app to have around. It allows you to create a bookmarks list of your favorite folders and access them via keyboard shortcuts (which you know I love) and even from Open/Save dialogs.

I've mentioned before that one of my biggest pet peeves is having to clicking through my file system looking for a file or folder. I just want to tell the computer what I want, not go looking for it myself. You can accomplish this to some degree with Dirkey. Once you create your list of your favorite folders, you can access them by using ctrl+alt+[0-9] (you get 10 keyboard-accessible shortcuts).

You can also bring up this list of favorites from the Open/Save dialog. So, if you frequently save files to a certain location, you can get to it quickly from the open/save command. This seems like it could be of limited utility unless you are talking about files stored outside of (or deeply nested in) the My Documents tree.

Anyway, if you're looking for a way to speed up your Windows usage, this could be a good start.

No comments: