Monday, November 5, 2007

WinGrep

Do you ever wish that you could run "grep -ril searchTerm *" from your Windows machine? I feel the need to do this just about all the time - oh wait, nevermind; I use a Mac now and I *can* do that. ;) But, when I'm on my Windows machine, I use WinGrep.

WinGrep is a nice, lightweight application that gives you a GUI grep functionality. It's extremely useful when working with code.

One way, in fact, that WinGrep can be more friendly than using a good ol' UNIX box is in its find-and-replace functionality. I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but, to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to do a true find and replace across multiple files in UNIX. You need to run a loop and "sed" each file into a temp file and then overwrite the original with the temp file. WinGrep can actually do in-place find and replaces.

Anyway, thought you might find this useful.

No comments: