Monday, November 19, 2007

Podcast Maker

A couple of years ago I attended a session on creating and managing podcasts. It was very interesting, but the best takeaway from the session was using Podcast Maker to create podcasts from my Mac.

Podcast Maker is a simple, Mac-only program for creating podcast feeds. Essentially, what it does is give you a drag-and-drop interface that generates a valid XML podcast file. It's really easy. You just drag in your MP3s (or whatever you're using), enter the metadata, publish your feed, and you're done! It even supports SFTP for easy publication of your feed. (Yes, it also support plain-text FTP, but would you ever use that? No!)

If you read my blog at all, you know that I am generally not a fan of code generators or bloated editors. I prefer the hands-on, under-the-hood, grease-under-my-nails, [insert automotive methaphor here] process of writing my own code. BUT, RSS/Podcast feeds are an exception to this rule. It is a major pain to maintain feeds by hand. Just about any little problem will break the feed.

Unfortunately, this is not a free program. Podcast Maker will run you $30, but it is well worth it.

No comments: